Product Engineering Manager
Muth Mirror Systems
Under the direction of the SVP Global Manufacturing and Engineering, the Product Engineering Manager is responsible for overseeing new iterations of existing module designs, and development of new products from concept phase through product validation to production readiness.
The Product Engineering Manager must be knowledgeable of customer specifications, supplier capabilities, component costing, and internal manufacturing processes and must employ creativity and ingenuity to ensure new products exceed customer expectations and maintain Muth’s competitive advantage.
1. Accountable for the performance of the Product Engineering Team in the design, development and testing of Muth’s Products.
Under the guidance of the Product Engineering Manager designated members of the team will:
a. Work with new and existing suppliers to identify cost savings opportunities and design improvements.
b. Work with Purchasing to obtain supplier component and tooling quotations, assist in supplier selection and qualification,
i. Order tooling as appropriate
c. Identify and evaluate competitor designs.
d. Interpret existing customer specifications and assist customers in developing new specifications when needed.
e. Design new display (blind spot detection, turn signal, etc.) modules:
i. Develop optical facets and features and specify light sources to meet lighting performance and aesthetics requirements.
ii. Collaborate with Electrical Engineers on PCB design and integration to ensure designs meet customer electrical, EMC, thermal, and durability requirements.
iii. Design mechanical features and specify materials to meet customer robustness and ingress protection requirements.
iv. Design for low cost and ease of manufacturing and assembly.
f. Develop project cost estimates to aid in the development of customer quotes.
g. Develop prototype samples and technical documentation to support Sales presentations.
h. Work with Quality to verify components meet drawings and specifications.
2. Conduct cross-functional design reviews.
3. Maintain project schedules and priorities based on input from Product Engineering Steering Team
4. Oversee product validation testing to ensure compliance to customer specifications.
5. Read publications and attend trade shows/seminars to stay up to date on new technologies and developments in the field of engineering and the automotive industry.
6. Support Manufacturing Engineering staff to ensure sound manufacturing processes are established for new and existing designs.
7. Support Applications Engineering with the integration of new designs into customer programs.
8. Supervision / Leadership
a. Manage Direct Reports by establishing clear performance expectations. Establish priorities, and hold team members accountable for their performance while providing constructive coaching and feedback, and proactively addressing performance issues.
b. Develop, establish, and implement short-term and long-term strategies and operating policies to achieve established departmental goals and objectives.
c. Ensure proper engineering principles and processes are established, maintained, and followed.
d. Guide team members in critical thinking and problem solving.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary.
Education, and/or Experience:
1. B.S. in Engineering (Mechanical or Electrical preferred) with 5+ years of related experience.
2. Proficient in 3D design software (SolidWorks preferred).
3. Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
4. Good communications skills for both internal customers/departments and external customers.
5. Good project management skills and ability to manage and execute multiple projects simultaneously.
6. Mechanical aptitude, with experience in automotive manufacturing and product design is a plus.
7. Previous supervisory experience is preferred but not required.