Applications Engineering Lead
Muth Mirror Systems
Under the direction of the SVP Global Manufacturing and Engineering, the Applications Engineering Lead directs and coordinates all program engineering activities to ensure they satisfy customer requirements and lead to the successful launch of customer products into serial production. The Applications Engineering Lead will have responsibilities throughout all phases of product development leading to successful production launch and through the life of the product including engineering changes and improvements.
The Applications Engineering Lead will have a “dotted line” functional reporting relationship to the VP of Quality and Program Management.
- Accountable for the performance of the Applications Engineering Team in the launch and lifecycle management of customer programs. Under the guidance of the Applications Engineering Lead designated members of the team will:
- Interpret existing customer specifications and assist customers in developing new specifications when needed.
- Communicate directly with customers to determine needs and applications relative to special installations and adaptations.
- Work with Purchasing to obtain supplier component and tooling quotations, assist in supplier selection, and order tooling.
- Work with Quality to verify components meet drawings and specifications.
- Work with new and existing suppliers to identify cost savings opportunities and design improvements.
- Utilize CAD software to prepare technical drawings, review/modify customer data files, and design tooling.
- Prepare internal/external technical documents such as DFMEAs and DVPRs.
- Support and implement product changes.
- Support Manufacturing Engineering staff to ensure sound manufacturing processes are established for new and existing designs.
- Conduct customer driven validation testing.
- Respond to questions/ inquiries from the sales team for matters related to customer programs.
- Be the primary point of contact for questions or concerns related to program-specific products.
- Support Product Engineering with the development of new designs.
- Maintain project schedules and priorities based on input from Sales and Program Management, with the support of members of the Applications Engineering Team.
- Global Applications Engineering support and primary Engineering contact for Muth’s China facility.
Supervision / Leadership
- Lead a cross functional team, including Quality and Program Management team members who will be dotted line reports.
- Manage Functional and direct reports by establishing clear performance expectations. Establish priorities, and hold team members accountable for their performance while providing constructive coaching and feedback, and proactively addressing performance issues.
- Develop, establish, and implement short-term and long-term strategies and operating policies to achieve established departmental goals and objectives.
- Ensure proper engineering principles and processes are established, maintained, and followed.
- Guide team members in critical thinking and problem solving.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary.
Education, and/or Experience: * Demonstrated proficiency in the management of complex projects.
- B.S. in Engineering (Mechanical or Electrical preferred) with 5+ years of related experience.
- Proficient in 3D design software (Autodesk AutoCAD/Inventor preferred).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Good communications skills for both internal customers/departments and external customers.
- Mechanical aptitude, with experience in automotive manufacturing and product design is a plus.
- Previous supervisory experience is preferred but not required.